Recruiting staff can be a very time consuming activity, usually involving managers and senior staff who can ill afford to spend time away from their usual day to day activities.
If your business is thinking about hiring new staff at any point in the near, or even distant future, it’s essential that you have a recruitment strategy in place to make the process as seamless as possible. And with a skills gap opening up for employees with specific technical experience in particular, getting yourself one step ahead of the game is absolutely key.
Key things to focus on when setting up your recruitment strategy include:
- Clearly define the vacant position and what skills and experience are required.
- Consider where to advertise the vacancy including on your website, job boards, trade publications (both on and off line) and social media.
- Ask for referrals from existing employees, clients or suppliers.
- Think about whether anyone internally be promoted the role, thus potentially then needing to recruit for a less experienced position.
- Use an external recruiter if you have someone you trust and have a good track record with.
- Think “outside the box” and consider candidates you might not have looked at previously, such as ex-armed forces, those looking for a career change, or someone willing to undergo further training.
- Be open an honest in interviews with prospective new employees to make sure if they do take the job they know exactly what to expect.
- Sell your business as at every stage of the process, it’s the best way of getting someone to buy into your brand.
Publicising your recruitment activity not only helps you target and attract the right candidates, it can also serve as a useful publicity tool: it sends out a positive message that your business is strong and growing to both customers and competitors alike. So whether your recruitment needs are immediate, or six months down the line, it’s never to earlier to start putting that recruitment strategy in place.
At Park City we have extensive experience of helping our clients develop recruitment strategies as well as handling the whole recruitment process on their behalf. Contact one of our consultants today to find out how we can help your business attract the best talent.