Not only does staff training develop an employee in their role whilst equipping them with the knowledge to carry out their role but it also is a catalyst for increasing morale, staff retention and efficiency within a company.
Often staff training is built into the onboarding process for new employees but it is crucial this doesn’t stop here. It is essential to encourage training and development and for it to continue for long-term employees. A detailed training program should be considered across for your business to offer all employees an equal chance to develop in their career?
Not only does staff training benefit the employees, but it also has a positive impact on their attitude and overall performance. It is crucial that employees feel they can develop their role and their career path where they work. Often people choose to leave their role to progress in their career, this can sometimes be a result of having no room to progress in their current position.
What is staff training?
Staff training is designed to equip employees with the essential knowledge and skills to carry out their job to the appropriate standard. Often staff training is implemented during the onboarding process of a new employee and then carried on throughout their time with the business. Demonstrating to your employees your business is committed to their continual professional development is an effective way to retain your staff and show you are invested in their career. Have regular catch ups with your employees to understand the areas they require support in. We suggest that you encourage your long-standing employees to re evaluate the areas they need to train in and refresh their knowledge.
Why is training important for staff?
Training your staff is highly important and something which needs to be embedded in your onboarding process to ensure new starters begin their role seamlessly. The importance of training your employees includes the following:
- Provide learning and development opportunities for your employees
- Develop your employees through training and create a career path for them within your business
- Make sure your employees understand their role and responsibilities in detail
- Ensure your staff understand their responsibility for safety in the workplace
- Increase productivity within the team
- Improve customer experience
- Boost employee morale and innovation, show your employees you are invested their career development within your business
- Reduce employee turnover and give your business a competitive edge to show you are invested in your team and their career prospects
What happens when you don’t train your staff?
Inadequate training at work can not only lead to employees feeling undervalued and underappreciated, but also leads to the risk of accidents in the workplace if sufficient health and safety training isn’t provided.
When this occurs in the onboarding process, you will find right from the beginning employees will feel underappreciated, undervalued and as though the employer isn’t prepared to invest time and money in their training. As a result, this leads to poor working practices, undermotivated employees and high staff turnover.
To prevent this happening, we suggest you develop a training strategy and policy companywide to show you professional development doesn’t just lie with senior managers, employees need to be proactive and ask for training in areas they feel haven’t already been covered.
6 Tips for effective employee training in 2023
- Embed staff training in your company onboarding process to demonstrate you are committed to your new starter’s professional development
- Have a clear understanding of your employees’ learning preferences and adapt their training program to suit their needs
- Develop a personal development program for your employees
- Build your company culture around learning and development, encourage your employees to come to you when they need further training
- Address skills shortages in your organization and identify training programs which can upskill your existing team to learn these new skills
- Show your employees you are committed to their career development by implementing an effective training strategy
- Reward and provide recognition for success
- Listen to the areas your employee wants to improve and invest in training to provide the support and development they require
What are the benefits of training your employees?
The benefits of training your employees are as follows:
- Increase productivity in the workplace
- Opportunity for further development
- Reduce employee turnover
- Show your employees they are valued
- Encourage accountability
- Increase employee’s efficiency in their role
- Avoid further staff increases by upskilling your existing team
- Reduce recruitment costs
Considering building a training and development program for your business but not sure where to begin? At Park City Consulting we are passionate about upskilling and training individuals within their roles. We specialise in Leadership and Management training, CMI, and Health & Safety, IOSH.
Whether you want to come to our training facilities in Colchester, Essex or you require us to come to your premises. Have you considered enrolling your staff on a training course at Park City Consulting? For more information check out our coming training dates here.